The Bangla Government, led by Mamata Banerjee, is committed to the welfare of labourers and workers in the State. Several schemes, such as Samajik Suraksha Yojana, have been launched.
Highlights of the Labour Welfare Department’s achievements
Samajik Suraksha Yojana
- 5 social security schemes for unorganised labour merged into one scheme – Samajik Suraksha Yojana – for effective implementation (effective from April 1, 2017)
- As of October 2018, 1.01 crore workers covered under the Samajik Mukti Card Scheme
- Rs 1,274.29 crore disbursed as benefit to workersSpecial benefit for female students
The Labour Welfare Department introduced a first-of-its-kind benefit in India for female students for pursuing undergraduate course or equivalent skill development course, with the granting of benefit based on the condition of the girl remaining unmarried. This serves the twin goals of enabling higher education for girls and preventing their early marriage.
Medical benefits for unorganised sector workers
- Medical benefits enhanced from Rs 10,000 to Rs. 20,000 per year
- Medical benefits for surgery made uniform for all workers, at the rate of Rs 60,000 per year
Yuvashree Scheme & other payments
- Govt has disbursed financial assistance of Rs 1,500 per month per person to 1 lakh jobseekers enrolled in the Employment Bank
- Durga Puja and Eid ex-gratia payment made by the State Govt at the rate of Rs 1,000 per person per year
- In financial year 2018-19, from April to October, 13,271 beneficiaries received a total of Rs 18.35 crore