April 12, 2019
What has the BJP MP done for the Hills in 5 years: Mamata Banerjee at Kurseong
Trinamool Congress Chairperson Mamata Banerjee today addressed a public meeting at Kurseong. In her speech she attacked the BJP and demanded to know what the BJP MP done for the Hills in 5 years.
Highlights of her speech:
- We want Hills to prosper. We want every community in the Hills to prosper
- Our Gorkha brother (Amar Singh Rai) will be a bridge between the Hills and plains
- Some people incite violence for political reasons, which hampers progress and development
- If more people come to the Hills, tourism will flourish and the economy will prosper
- People like Bimal Gurung and Roshan Giri make money and run away from here. They do not care for the betterment of the Hills
- The MP of Darjeeling was not to be seen in the last five years. He ran away after winning from here
- There is a lot of scope for the young generation here if there is peace in the Hills
- We held a Hills Business Summit in the Hills with the aim of increasing investment here
- We want to set up an IT Hub in the Hills
- In 2014, we requested the Centre to give ST status to several communities. But they did not take any step
- We requested the Centre to set up a central university in the Hills. They did not. So, we decided to set up a Hill University here
- Presidency University is setting up a campus in Kurseong. An education hub is also coming up
- We are tourism to flourish in the Hills. We are exploring new places for tourism
- We declared a new district in Kalimpong, fulfilling a long-standing demand of the people
- Our scheme for skill development has won first prize from United Nations out of 1600 schemes. We train 6 lakh youths every year
- Sabooj Sathi scheme has also been declared a champion project by United Nations
- I feel proud of the Gorkha Regiment. We are proud of our armed forces. Unlike, Modi we do not seek votes in the name of armed forces. We must not defame the army
- Amit Shah and Modi will come and go. Our armed forces are ready to sacrifice their lives for the country.
- After the elections, once the model code of conduct is over, we will hold discussions to seek solutions to safeguard and respect the Gorkha identity
- We have hiked the wages of tea garden workers. We have set up a committee to review the wages
- We have set up an expert committee to look into the issue of land pattas for tea garden workers
- We do not make false promises. Modi promised Rs 15 lakh will be deposited in every bank account. But they did not keep their promises
- They promised to create 10 crore jobs in five years but in reality, 2 crore jobs were lost in 2017-18
- Demonetisation has destroyed the economy. Businessmen and traders are suffering due to GST
- More than 12,000 farmers committed suicide. They have said they will double farmers’ income by 2022. We have already tripled farmers’ income
- They came to Kalimpong yesterday in a helicopter, gave a speech and left. I come regularly to the Hills, by road
- We feel a memorial should be set up in the Hills to honour the Gorkha Regiment
- The BJP wants to implement NRC in Bengal. We will not allow that. They have excluded the names of 40 lakh people in Assam – including Bengalis, Nepalis, Biharis and others
- We will not allow the citizenship amendment bill. Under this Bill, you will become a foreigner for six years. Whether you will become a citizen again is uncertain
- This is an election to decide who will form the government at Centre. They should give an account of what they have done in five years
- Some leaders are instigating people via Facebook. I want to ask Mr Gurung, what has the BJP MP done for the Hills?
- Did the BJP not get a single worthy candidate from the Hills to contest the polls? Why did they bring a candidate from Manipur?
- I am not here to seek only your votes. I want your love.
- I want to assure you, whatever you want for the development of the Hills, we will work for it