May 4, 2019
Statement of Mamata Banerjee on the effect of Cyclone Fani in Bangla
Cyclone Fani has moved on towards Bangladesh. But, there may be after-effects, which will last till the evening. Bangla Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee gave a statement in the aftermath of the cyclone hitting the State, and detailed out the restoration work in progress.
Highlights of her statement
- As of now, the cyclone has moved on towards Bangladesh. But, there may be after-effects, which will last till the evening.
- Electric poles have been uprooted, trees felled, roads affected. 12 kachcha houses collapsed, over 800 houses have been partially affected. We will take care of the restoration work.
- Felled trees have been removed and roads have been cleared in most of the areas.
- Restoration work is complete in Digha, Mandarmani, Diamond Harbour and going on in full swing in other areas.
- Electricity has been restored in most places. In the next two days, situation will be normal.
- 42,000 people were evacuated by the administration. They will be returned to their homes in one or two days
- I was worried for the last one week. We have been constantly monitoring the situation and had taken all precautionary measures
- Kolkata Mayor was up all night to monitor the situation. Administration took every measure
- We have received cooperation from people. We want to thank them