February 26, 2016
Bengal surges ahead in macroeconomic parameters
West Bengal under the Trinamool Congress Government has seen an unprecedented surge in the revival of industries. Industries had subsided and almost become non-existent during the three decades of Left Front rule. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s efforts over the last five years have been very successful. The Bengal Global Business Summits in 2015 and 2016 have brought in lakhs of crores of rupees worth of investments. The Chief Minister’s foreign trips have also been highly successful in this regard.
Comparatively, in terms of the major indices of economic growth, West Bengal is ahead of India.
Let us see what the real picture of West Bengal is at the present moment.
Gross value-vdded growth
|Per capita income||12.84%||
|Increase in industry||8.34%||
* 2014-15 figures
INVESTMENT SCENARIO IN BENGAL
- Manufacturing units numbering 435, with a declared investment of Rs.84,923.86 crore, employing 2,29,346 people, have been set up (already operational or under construction).
- In addition, intentions for investment have been filed by entrepreneurs through entrepreneur’s memoranda filed with the DIPP-GoI (for large-scale industries) and with the Directorate of Industries (for medium-scale industries), for 221 large and medium manufacturing units, with a proposed investment of Rs 70,587.15 crore, with a capacity to employ 86,725 people.
- Rs 2,50,253.74 crore worth of business announcements, business document exchanges, expressions of interest and investment proposals were received at the Bengal Global Business Summit 2016.
- An greenfield airport in Andal, the first such airport in the private sector in the country, developed by Bengal Aerotropolis Pvt Ltd (BAPL), has been commissioned and has started flying operations.
- The West Bengal Government has launched Shilpa Sathi, a single-window cell, to assist investors in setting up industries and to minimise the hassles of getting government clearances.
- West Bengal Industrial Development Corporation (WBIDC) is actively engaged in catalysing investment through the promotion and showcasing of West Bengal as an investment destination.