WB CM Ms Mamata Banerjee for the first time called a meeting with the Commercial Vehicle Operators plying in the state at Nazrul Mancha, organised by WB Transport and Labour Department. West Bengal Transport Department has made huge development in the last three years with numerous new AC buses and new routes being introduced. Traffic signals have been installed at every important crossing, and road dividers have been set up.
While she stressed on need of public friendly attitude towards the service of the people, she also reiterated her Government’s understanding of the constraints faced by the drivers/conductors/cleaners etc. To encourage conducive atmosphere between the passenger and the operator, the CM stated various measures through which people working in this field can have a better professional life and a secured future.
The highlights of her speech stating the achievements and the measures undertaken by the Transport Dept for welfare of transport employees are as under:
- We decided at Government level regarding what we could do for the people engaged in transport trade.
- Strikes, bandhs, road blocks are not options for protest. These only disrupt the routine of the common people and the those who are in distress.
- All commercial drivers may file form for registration by paying Rs 30. This will help you get Rs 30,000 annually for medical expense.
- The one time registration will make you eligible for a monthly pension of Rs 1500 after 60 years of age.
- This one time registration will ensure Rs 2 lakh for accidental insurance for commercial drivers of bus, auto, taxi and others.
- We are also giving Rs 25,000 for the marriage of the kins of drivers. This will be available 5 years apart.
- I do not believe in punishments. I believe in working with love.
- Refusals to passengers, incidents of passenger harassment should be avoided.
- A steering committee being formed with members from Labour Dept, Transport Dept and Police to sort out all transport related problems.
- We are banning the Rs 3000 fine that was imposed. The minimum fine from tomorrow will be Rs 100 for 1st offense.
- Please remember that people are dependent on you.
- Tell your co-workers that the Govt. is solving your problems, so all should work accordingly, cooperate with Police.
- Cooperate with the passengers, make your behavior courteous.
- Mohabbat ka sath kam kijiye, sab kucch ho jayega.