June 15, 2018
Transport Dept comes up with auto-rickshaw policy draft
In a bid to regularise plying of auto-rickshaws, the state Transport Department has come up with the draft notification of the auto-rickshaw policy.
It may be recalled that the state Transport department had decided to frame a policy of which a major part is route rationalisation, a mechanism to fix fares of a particular route and initiatives to solve the existing problem related to plying of unregistered auto-rickshaws.
A high-power committee was also formed to frame the policy and a draft of the auto-rickshaw policy has been framed. In a meeting held on Wednesday at Nazrul Manch, the draft of the policy has been distributed among representatives of auto-rickshaw unions. Transport Minister and Additional Chief Secretary of transport department along with other concerned officials were present in the meeting.
The unions and the concerned authorities have been directed to submit their feedback after going through the draft policy by mid July. They have to submit their feedback in a written format at the office of the state Transport department. After bringing in necessary changes, if required, following the feedback of the stakeholders, the final notification declaring the auto-rickshaw policy will be issued.
As per the draft policy:
- Auto-rickshaws will not be allowed to operate on any unauthorised route.
- Ferrying of excess passengers than permitted level will not be allowed.
- Driver cannot use mobile phones while driving and loud sound systems will not be allowed to be installed.
- No high power LED lights will be allowed in front of the auto-rickshaws.
- The most important one is that auto-rickshaw drivers cannot charge exorbitantly.
- Without offer letters, auto-rickshaw cannot be sold out.