August 20, 2018
Handloom and handicrafts sectors flourish in Bangla
The handloom and handicrafts sectors of Bangla have seen a massive revival, under the guidance of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, in the last seven years.
From the issuance of identity cards, to the distribution of better equipment or the training of artisans – the State Government has extended all help to the people engages with this industry.
Thanks to the various fairs and exhibitions, and the Biswa Bangla Brand, handicrafts and handloom products of Bangla have now gone global.
Handloom industry flourishes
- 5,31,075 Weavers’ Identity Cards (WIC) distributed in 2017, against nil as in 2011
- 66,500 credit cards issued to weavers
- 95,000 weavers imparted skill development training
- 75,889 looms provided to loom-less weavers
- 44 lakh cheaper variety cotton sarees produced
- 16 times increase in creation of additional person-days – 533 lakh between financial years (FY) 2011-12 to 2017-18 as compared to 33.18 lakh till 2010-11
- 1 lakh weavers being provided marketing support through Tanter Haats
- 24.15 km link road constructed for better road network for handloom clusters Mega Carpet Clusters launched covering 3,500 weavers
- Project Baluchari being implemented, involving 2,500 weavers
Tantuja turned to a profit-making organisation from 2014-15, after making loss for decades – Rs 204.9 crore business turnover achieved by Tantuja in FY 2017-18
Revival of Bangla handicrafts
- 5,31,772 Artisan Identity Cards issued between FYs 2011-12 and 2017-18 as compared to 37,213 between FYs 2006-07 and 2017-18
12,000 credit cards issued to artisans
- 10 Rural Craft Hubs established (in collaboration with UNESCO), benefitting 25,000 artisans. The project has attracted about 80,000 tourists in the last 3 years.
- 27 marketing outlets set up for artisans in the last 3 years
- Rs 924 crore business generated from fairs and exhibitions
- Manjusha started making profit from FY 2015-16 after making loss for three decades; over Rs 91 crore turnover achieved in FY 2017-18
- 8 Biswa Bangla showrooms functioning in and outside Bengal, from which more than Rs 50 crore in sales generated till 2017