August 29, 2018
Achievements of the Youth Services & Sports Department’s Youth Wing
The Youth Wing of the State Youth Services & Sports (YSS) Department has had several commendable achievements under the Trinamool Congress Government.
The primary achievements are as follows:
Youth Hostels: 18 youth hostels renovated, 8 youth hostels constructed (all 26 now operational), 17 youth hostels under construction.
Grants to clubs: More than 18,000 clubs and other organisations given financial assistance for sports activities and development of sports infrastructure since 2014-15.
Distribution of footballs: Keeping the FIFA-U17 World Cup in view, 1.25 lakh footballs distributed to schools, colleges, universities and clubs.
Development of playgrounds: Financial assistance given to 373 schools, colleges, universities and clubs for the development of playgrounds.
Setting up of multi-gyms: Financial assistance given to nearly 3,000 schools, colleges, universities and clubs for setting up of multi-gyms.
Setting up of mini indoor games complexes: Financial assistance given to more than 635 schools, colleges, universities, clubs and organisations for setting up mini indoor games complexes.
Fairs & Festivals:
- West Bengal State Student-Youth Festival organised across the State in three tiers to find out budding talents in the sphere of culture
- Rakhibandhan Utsab organised to strengthen communal harmony; the day is observed as Sampriti Dibas (‘Harmony Day’)
- Vivek Chetana Utsab organised from January 10 to 12 to commemorate Swami Vivekananda’s birth anniversary
- Subhas Utsab organised from January 22 to 23 to commemorate Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s birth anniversary
- Jangalmahal Utsab organised in the Left Wing Extremism (LWE)-affected districts in the Jangalmahal region
- West Bengal State Student-Youth Science Fair organised across the State in two tiers in schools, colleges and universities for promoting a scientific attitude and to find out budding talents
Youth Computer Training Centres: About 1,000 Youth Computer Training Centres run across the State in collaboration with various private agencies.
Vocational training: Placement-linked skill development programme organised with the assistance of Technical Education, Training & Skill Development Department; more than 4,000 candidates given training till now.
Mountaineering and adventure sports:
- Special endeavours taken to promote mountaineering and adventure sports amongst the youth.
- 20 civilians climbed Mt Everest since 2011, whereas only 2 had climbed from Independence till 2011.
- Two awards instituted: Radhanath Sikdar-Tenzing Norgay Adventure Award, consisting of trophy and cheque of Rs 1 lakh each, given to 20 mountaineers; Chhanda Gayen Bravery Award, consisting of trophy and Rs 75,000, given to four female mountaineers.
Bangla Yuba Kendra: Organisation formed to create a healthy socio-cultural ambience; volunteers at the block, municipality and district levels maintain coordination with YSS Department for development of students and youths
Financial assistance for ex-Olympians: Pension of Rs 12,000 per month being given to four ex-Olympians of the State