March 2, 2019
Panchayats Department to lend helping hand to fish cultivators
Fish production is a profession intimately connected with the rural population of the State. In going with this fact, the Panchayats and Rural Development Department has decided to lend a helping hand in fish production, and thus complement the remarkable efforts of the Fisheries Department.
For this, the department has decided to takes series of measures, which would be implemented gradually. Included are aspects related to both fish cultivation and infrastructural developments to increase fish production.
The primary measures are as follows:
- Creating a category of experts called ‘Meen Mitras’, who would act as representatives of the government in advising fish cultivators on all aspects of their profession
- Building eco-hatcheries for production of hatchlings
- Supplying solar dryers to self-help groups involved in fish drying (dry fish is both consumed domestically and exported)
- Supplying ice machines to these groups for making ice used in preserving fish
- Helping in building small cold storage rooms
- Supplying mopeds with insulated boxes on subsidy, for supplying fish to markets
- Creating literature in Bengali and other languages for educating people of modern methods of fish cultivation, and distributing the books as well
Source: Ei Samay