May 9, 2019
Central govt departments being used by BJP during elections: Mamata Banerjee at Kharagpur
Trinamool Chairperson Mamata Banerjee today addressed a public meeting at Kharagpur in Paschim Medinipur district. She pointed out that the BJP was using and manipulating central government departments for its benefit during the elections.
Highlights of her speech:
- Many people have lost their jobs, their businesses, farmers have committed suicide because of the anti-people policies of the BJP-led NDA government. Those who used to work in other states have been forced to come back. And the three pillars of media, judiciary and constitutional bodies have all been manipulated to suit the BJP and Modi.
- Likewise, central forces have been allocated according to their convenience. Other states have got one, two or three companies, but in Bangla 100% deployment has been made. And the worst part is some of these forces are coercing people to vote for the BJP.
- Central govt departments are being used for your benefit. It is not the work of the BSF and the CRPF or central govt contractors to gather crowds for your meetings. But you are doing it. Remember, you are a prime minister and such work, such talk is not suited for you. A prime minister should not say false things.
- We have a very cramped programme today. Have to go for a padayatra after this and then return to Kolkata. Very soon, TDP chief Chandrababu Naidu will be joining us. Our Medinipur candidate Dr Manas Bhunia is here, among other leaders.And thank you, mothers and sisters and the youth for coming here today.
- Kharagpur is a cosmopolitan urban area, a major railway township. I was railway minister twice and I understand the workings. But today, railways have not done much good work, progress has stagnated and the employees are disheartened.
- Though this is a parliamentary election, I would like to point out that the Kharagpur Municipality that we run has done a lot of good work. We are building a new stadium. Kharagpur is also becoming an industrial centre. A number of industrialists have taken land here and in future, Kharagpur will become a big business centre. The local youth will get a lot of opportunities.
- There are two Assembly seats in this region, one of which went to the BJP in the 2016 election. But tell me, since then can you point out a single big achievement that has taken place in that Assembly constituency? The only thing that has been done is going around with a mace held in hand.
- Similarly, for five years, Narendra Modi forgets about Ram Chandra. In the last six-seven years, if we can renovate and build temples and skywalks, burial grounds and other religious facilities, then why can’t Modi. In the last five years, he has not been able to build one single mandir.
- BJP will not get a single seat in Telangana or Andhra. You can ask Chandrababu, who will be here shortly. They won’t get seats in most of the states. Then how will they form the govt, as they are claiming? They are saying all sorts of false things and misleading people. On the other hand, they have done all sorts to create problems for the people, from notebandi to raising fuel and gas prices.
- Therefore, the BJP is not winning and not coming back to power. On the day of voting, bury the BJP once and for all for the sake of democracy. After the 23rd, we will build a united India along with other Opposition parties.