June 9, 2017
Maa Mati Manush Govt is committed to the development of Hills
The Maa, Mati, Manush Government led by Mamata Banerjee has been committed to the development of Hills. Here are some achievements in the last six years:
GTA Act was notified in 2012. 35 Departments of the Government have notified the setting up of their offices under GTA.
- More than Rs 3925 Crores has been allocated from the Hill Affairs Department for the hills over the last six years.
- The situation in the Hill areas of Darjeeling district and that of Dooars has remained peaceful due to sustained efforts on the part of this Government. Developmental measures aimed at benefitting the people in the Hill areas and Dooars have culminated in significant socio-economic improvement of the people residing in these areas.
The overall impact of such activities has resulted in building up a peaceful and calm atmosphere in the region.
Notable among the steps taken is creation of a separate district of Kalimpong and a separate Sub-Division of Mirik, both of which have started functioning.
- 16 (Sixteen) Development Boards have been formed for the indigenous communities of the hills and nearly Rs 320 Crore has already been disbursed to them for various developmental activities including preservation and promotion of their ancient culture and traditions.
- The development of road infrastructure in the Hill areas has been a priority of this Government. Renovation of NH-55 between Tindharia and Paglajhora and NH-10 between Sevoke and Sikkim border which were badly damaged due to landslides has been taken up. The work of construction of AH-2 and AH-48 is underway which will improve the connectivity of West Bengal with Sikkim, Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan.
- In the Tourism sector of Hill Areas, considerable thrust has been imposed for providing boost to Tourism.
At Kalimpong, eight (8) cottages have been constructed within the premises of Morgan House Tourist Lodge.
Two Cultural Tourism Centres are being developed at Kalimpong-I and Sukhiapokhri Blocks for focusing of Lepcha culture and heritage.
One hundred bedded Youth Hostel is under construction at Kalimpong.
Development of a number of new Tourist destinations have been undertaken at a cost of Rs. 29.40 crore.
Four Executive class buses for foreign tourists as well as four small vehicles for local sightseeing have been introduced at a cost of Rs. 2 crore.
In Darjeeling, an eco-friendly Tourist Lodge is being developed at Tiger Hill. The Siliguri Royal Tiger Safari has been introduced which will be the first Tiger Safari in West Bengal.
- Model schools at Sukna, Mongarjung and RKSP at Darjeeling have been established. The Model Schools will be commissioned from the session 2017-18. Two degree colleges have been established at Pedong and Gorubathan.
A new ITI and one Polytechnic college are being built up at Kalimpong. Another ITI is being set up at Gorubathan.
In Kurseong, Dow Hill is being developed as an Education Hub. The Himalayan Centre of Presidency University is also being established at the same place.
- In the Health Sector of Hill Areas due priority has been attached.
In Kalimpong, one HDU has been set up. Eight SNSUs have been set up in the district of Darjeeling. Two CCUs have been established at Siliguri and Darjeeling.
Four Fair Price Medicine shops have been established at Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kurseong and Naxalbari. In Kurseong, one new Medical College is being set up while a hundred bedded ESI Hospital is being established at Siliguri.
Moreover, four Sub-Centres are ready to be commissioned.
- The Government proposes to lay emphasis on Eco and Village Tourism, setting up of new Health centres, Agriculture and Horticulture as well as Skill development schemes in the areas of Hospitality, Security Services (Unarmed), Handloom, Handicrafts etc. Himal-Terai-Dooars sports festivals have been held to encourage the youth of the region for participating in sports and games activities.