On the occasion of 152nd birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, the Department of Sports & Department of Youth Services, Government of West Bengal is organising a 3-day Vivek Chetana Utsav, in association with Ramakrishna Math and Mission from 10-12 January, 2015.
A centralised programme was inaugurated at Netaji Indoor Stadium earlier today by WB CM Mamata Bandyopadhyay and General Secretary of Ramakrishna Math and Mission Swami Suhitanandaji Maharaj.
On this occasion WB CM gave away the ‘Khel Sanman’ awards to the eminent players and financial grants were provided to club organisations. From now, every year January 10 will be celebrated as ‘Khel Divas’.
On 11 and 12 January, 2015 the Vivek Chetana Utsav will be organised in 341 Blocks, 121 Municipalities, 15 Boroughs of Kolkata Municipal Corporation including 5 Corporations and in all the District Headquarters in the State.
Highlights of WB CM speech:
- We are honouring 19 sports icons today including veteran sportsperson like PK Banerjee, Chuni Goswami and others. We will also give financial assistance to various clubs.
- Local clubs at grassroots are keeping the tradition of sports alive. Sports and culture and complementary.
- We will give Rs 2 lakh to 3500 clubs for infrastructure development.
- 3500 clubs will get Rs 1 lakh for infrastructure development.
- We have given assistance to upcoming sports players at grassroots.
- Budget for Sports Ministry has been increased fivefold. We are building infrastructure.
- We dedicated Yuva Bharti Krirangan to Swami Vivekananda.
- Belur Math has always been involved in social work. They have always stood beside the people.
- Swami Vivekananda won hearts at Chicago Conference.
- We are setting up a Centre of Excellence in the name of Swami Vivekananda at Rajarhat.
- Sister Nivedita’s house was acquired and handed over to Ramakrishna Mission.
- We have taken the initiative to preserve the ancestral home of Maa Sarada.
- We have set up two chairs – at Calcutta University and Presidency University – after Swami Vivekananda.
- Swami Vivekananda stood for the youth. He called for dedication, devotion and determination.
- We have to overcome all hurdles and keep moving ahead. This is the ideal of Swami Vivekananda.
- We have to believe in Sarva Dharma Samany.
- The teachings and ideals of icons like Swami Vivekananda will never die. They are immortal.
WB CM felicitates sports icons with Khel Samman:
- Dola Banerjee (Archery), Trisha Deb (Archery), Sourav Ghoshal (Table Tennis) receives Khel Samman for 2014.
- PK Banerjee (veteran footballer) and Gurbux Singh (Hockey) honoured with Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Amal Dutta, Joyprokash Chakrabarty, Joydeep Mukherjee honoured with Krira Guru Samman.
- Rita Sen, Saraswati Saha, Sanjay Kumar Rai (Athletics) honoured with Banglar Gourab Samman.
- Manoj Guha, Deepu Ghosh ( Badmninton) honoured with Banglar Gaurab Samman.
- Malay Roy (Body-building) receives Banglar Gaurab Samman.
- Tushar Kanti Sil (Body-building) receives Banglar Gaurab Samman.
- Shakti Majumder (Boxing) receives Banglar Gaurab Samman.
- Gopal Krishna Ghosh (Cricket) receives Banglar Gaurab Samman.
- Supravat Chakraborty(Cycling) receives Banglar Gaurab Samman.
- Pradip Chowdhury (Football) receives Banglar Gaurab Samman.
- Shankar Banerjee (Football) receives Banglar Gaurab Samman.
- Footballer Mihir Baran Basu and Tarun Kumar Bose receive Banglar Gaurab Samman.
Image: File Photo of WB CM paying tributes to Swami Vivekananda